Telephone (504) 581-4892
Fax (504) 561-6024
Morton H. Katz is Of Counsel to Herman, Herman & Katz, L.L.C., as well as the national firm HERMAN GEREL, LLP, headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia.
Mr. Katz was born in New Orleans, Louisiana, on February 5, 1945. He attended Loyola University in New Orleans and received his Juris Doctorate in 1969. Having completed Officer Candidate School in the Louisiana National Guard in 1969, he received commission as Second Lieutenant. In 1973, he was honorably discharged.
Mr. Katz is a former member of the Board of Governors and Advisory Board of the Louisiana Trial Lawyers Association, as well as the Maritime Committee and the Association of Trial Lawyers of America. He is an active member of the Louisiana State Bar Association, American Bar Association, American Association for Justice, the Louisiana Bar Examiner, Torts and Ethics, as well as a Founding Fellow of the Southern Trial Lawyers Association.
Mr. Katz is the author of Amendments to the Louisiana Workman’s Compensation Act. He was the local and regional winner of the World Law Fund Script Writing Contest in 1966. Featured in Who’s Who in American Law, Mr. Katz is admitted in the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth and Eleventh Circuits, the United States District Court for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana, and the Supreme Court of the United States. He is on the Advisory Board of the American Arbitration Association and is an arbitor of U.S. Arbitration & Mediation. He is the president designate of the Jewish Federation of Greater New Orleans and will serve his two-year term beginning September 2013.
- Loyola University School of Law, J.D. 1969
- University of Southern Mississippi, B.A. 1966
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Association for Justice (also former member of Maritime Committee)
- Louisiana Bar Examiner – Torts and Ethics
- Southern Trial Lawyers Association – Founding Fellow
- American Arbitration Association – Advisory Board
- U.S. Arbitration and Mediation – Arbitor
- Louisiana Association for Justice -Board of Directors and former member of Board of Governors and Advisory Board
- Metairie Park Country Day Dad’s Club (President)
- New Orleans Jewish Community Center (President)
- Israel Bonds for the City of New Orleans (former Leadership Chairman)
- New Orleans Saints Football Club (former minority owner)
- Jewish Community Center Association, NYNY (board member)
- Jewish Federation of Greater New Orleans Fundraising Campaign
- Jewish Federation of Greater New Orleans (President)
- Loyola Law School Visiting Committee Board Member
- Loyola Law School Alumni Association (President)
Local and regional winner of World Law Fund Script Writing Contest (1966); served in Louisiana National Guard (honorably discharged in 1973); Who’s Who in Emerging Leaders of America; Top Lawyers in Louisiana, LA Life Magazine; Martindale-Hubbell AV Rating; Louisiana SuperLawyers 2008-2014.
Amendments to the Louisiana Worker’s Compensation Act (1983)
“Advantages and Disadvantages of Plaintiff Practice,” Tulane University (1982); “Impact of Louisiana Workman’s Compensation Amendments,” LTLA Continuing Education Seminar (1983); “Depositions,” Loyola University (1988); “Retroactivity of LSA–R.S. 22:1406” LTLA Cosse v. Bradley Seminar (1992)
Guilbeau v. W.W. Henry Co., 859 F. Supp. 238 (W.D. La. 1994); Mintz v. Barthelemy, 891 F.2d 520 (5th Cir. 1989); Couch v. Cro-Marine Transport, Inc., 50 F.3d 1035 (5th Cir. 1995); United States of America v. Avondale Industries, Inc., 841 F. Supp. 180 (M.D. La. 1993); Lederer v. Famous Entertainment, Inc., 98-2274 (La. App. 4 Cir., 05/12/99) 732 So.2d 1277; Curtis v. Rome, 98-0966 (La. App. 4 Cir. 05/05/99) 735 So.2d 822; Chau v. Takee Outee of Bourbon, Inc., 97-1166 (La. App. 4 Cir., 02/11/98) 707 So. 2d 495; Plyman v. Strain, 97-1169 (La. App. 4 Cir. 11/19/97) 702 So. 2d 1204; Giambrone v. Miller, 96-651 (La. App. 5 Cir., 01/15/97) 688 So. 2d 53; Lucius M. Pendleton & Travelers Ins. v. Smith, 95-1805 (La. App. 4 Cir., 05/08/96) 674 So. 2d 434; Dr. Katherine Knight v. Miller, 95-1805 (La. App. 4 Cir., 05/08/96) 674 So. ed 434; Craig v. Ferguson, 494 So. 2d 1273, 1986 La. App. LEXIS 7677; Smith v. Dr. and Mrs. Fernand Tiblier, 374 So. 2d 685, 1979 La. App. LEXIS 4087; Gremillion v. Harvel, 285 So. 2d 294, 1973 La. App. LEXIS 5926