New Orleans, LA Car Crash and Injury Lawyer
No two car accidents are the same. Each accident has different extenuating circumstances, and should be handled accordingly. That being said, certain causes of car wrecks are more common than others. Unfortunately, these causes are almost always preventable with proper care and caution, and are usually the result of driver negligence.
Some of the most common causes of car accidents include the following:
- Poor vehicle maintenance – Cars are delicate machines and should be treated as such. When vehicles are abused or neglected, they can become dangerous and can lead to disastrous crashes on the roadways. Failure to monitor tire pressure, or get regular check ups or keep up with routine maintenance, like changing out brake light bulbs, can all lead to serious accidents.
- Driving under the influence – We all know that drunk driving is a serious hazard on the roads. When impaired drivers get behind the wheel, they do not have the cognitive function to be able to handle the rigors of the road. Drunk drivers can become inattentive or drowsy behind the wheel, and have slowed reaction times, making drunk drivers a serious danger to themselves and others.
- Unsafe Roadways – In some cases, when states fail to safely maintain the highways, unsafe driving conditions can be the result. Conditions, such as ignored potholes, roads with limited visibility, failure to properly post traffic signs, and other similar problems, can all contribute to serious collisions.
- Distracted drivers – In some cases, a driver can appear to be doing everything right and still be a danger to his fellow drivers. A driver who is talking on the phone and not paying attention to the road is cognitively distracted. A driver who is adjusting the radio is manually distracted. A driver who is trying to read a map is visually distracted. A driver who is texting is all three, and is a danger to him or herself, as well as others. Click here for more information about distracted driving.
- Defective Equipment / Design Failure – Some accidents can be attributed to the equipment that makes up the vehicle itself, even if the driver did everything right to maintain the vehicle. Tires not being properly aired, brake failures, steering that locks up or airbag malfunctions can all be the result of the faulty design or manufacture of the vehicle. Click here for more information about vehicle recalls.
If you have been injured in a car accident, learn about your legal rights from an experienced Louisiana car accident lawyer by calling 504-581-4892 or by filling out our free, no obligation case review form.