New Orleans, LA Hospital Medical Negligence Lawyers
Hospitals in Louisiana and their staff are under increased pressure to avoid “never events.” These events have often serious outcomes that should never happen but inevitably do. The name of these events can be misleading, especially because they are becoming increasingly common in hospitals, doctors’ offices, and clinics around the country. If you are an injured party who suffered from such a never event, you may have a legitimate reason to file a medical malpractice claim. But, before you do so, you should first familiarize yourself with never events, and what they mean in a malpractice suit.
Why Never Events Matter
Never events are health care errors; these errors are the leading cause of morbidity and mortality in the United States. These events are required by the state to be reported, but most medical and hospital errors are grossly underreported in Louisiana, as well as in the rest of the country. Never events are essentially lapses in the standard duty of care – therefore, they are a major quality concern. Additionally, most of these never events are 100 percent preventable and occur due to neglect or lack of proper policy.
What are Never Events?
Never events can include:
- Surgical or invasive procedure errors, such as performing surgery on the wrong site or doing an invasive procedure on the wrong patient.
- Product or device errors, such as using medical devices in a way that they were not originally designed for.
- Discharging a patient negligently, allowing a patient to leave the premises, or even failing to prevent patient suicide.
- Medication errors or unsafe administration of medications (including blood products).
- Deaths associated with environmental events, such as electric shock, failure to administer oxygen, etc.
- The introduction of metallic objects in an MRI.
- Injury by a person that is impersonating healthcare personnel in a facility. Never events are preventable; therefore, if a patient is injured because of a never event, they may be able to seek compensation through a malpractice claim. Claims can be bought against multiple parties, such as:
- The treating physician
- Nursing staff
- Clinic owners
- Manufacturers of medical products and equipment
Were You Injured by a Never Event?
If you or a loved one suffered a serious injury because of a never event, you may be entitled to compensation under the law. The only way to find out is by having your case assessed by a medical malpractice attorney in New Orleans. The team of attorneys at Herman Herman & Katz, LLC will work hard as your advocates to help you receive the compensation that you deserve for your injuries. Call us now at 844-285-0267 to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation or ask a legal question online through our online contact form.