Brian D. Katz is a partner of Herman, Herman & Katz, L.L.C. Mr. Katz attended the University of Alabama, where he was the President of the College of Communication (1990-1991) and Zeta Beta Tau fraternity (1989-1991), as well as a member of the Blue Key Honor Society and the Order of Omega. After receiving his B.A. from the University of Alabama, Mr. Katz attended Tulane University School of Law, where he received his J.D. in January of 1996. While at Tulane, Mr. Katz clerked for the Orleans Parish Juvenile Indigent Defender’s Office and at HH&K. Immediately upon graduation, he joined his father, Morton H. Katz, in the family practice.
Developing a broad civil practice, Mr. Katz has handled plaintiff cases including personal injury, construction, business litigation, highway and premises liability, products liability and attorney fee disputes. He has also defended commercial litigation, legal malpractice, products liability, construction, civil RICO matters, and has experience litigating matters throughout the state and federal courts in the State of Louisiana. Mr. Katz has also spoken at and moderated continuing legal education programs presented by the Louisiana State Bar Association, Louisiana Association for Justice and the National Business Institute.
Mr. Katz has memberships in the Federal Bar Association, the Louisiana Bar Association, the American Association for Justice (where he has been named an “Advocate” in litigation), the Louisiana Association for Justice (where he is presently a member of the executive committee), the Louisiana Bar Foundation, and he is a member of Primerus’ Personal Institute.
Mr. Katz is also heavily involved in civic work and serves on the board of the Jewish Federation of Greater New Orleans and is currently a vice-chair. Mr. Katz has previously served as President of the Jewish Community Center from 2011 to 2013 and Chair of its Capital Campaign which concluded in 2016. Mr. Katz was Co-chair for the Jewish Federations of North America National Young Leadership from 2011 to 2012. Over the years, he has been acknowledged for his volunteer efforts and has received several awards for his civic work such as the Anne Goldsmith Hanaw and J. Jerome Hanaw Tikkun Award (2004), John N. Weinstock Leadership Award (2005), Maurice Feingertz Memorial Leadership Award (2006), the Esther Leah Ritz Next Generation of JCC Leadership Award (2006), and was selected to the United Way of Southeast Louisiana’s Alexis de Tocqueville Society (2013).
- Tulane University School of Law, J.D. 1996
- University of Alabama – Tuscaloosa, B.A. 1991
- U.S.D.C. Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana
- U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- University of Alabama College of Communication, President (1990-1991)
- University of Alabama Zeta Beta Tau, President (1989-1991)
- University of Alabama Blue Key Honor Society, Member; Order of Omega, Member; Martindale-Hubbell AV Rating
- New Orleans City Business Leadership in Law Recipient (2009, 2015, 2019)
- New Orleans City Business Leadership in Law Hall of Fame (2019)
- New Orleans Magazine Top Lawyers in New Orleans (2009, 2011 – 2014, 2016, 2018)
- Best Lawyers in America (2012- present); Louisiana’s Best Lawyers (2012-present)
- Louisiana Super Lawyers (2013-2019)
- Jewish Community Center, President (2011-2013); Capital Campaign Chairperson (2013-2016)
- Jewish Federations of North America, National Young Leadership Co-Chair (2011-2012)
- “Liens and Settlements in Plaintiff’s Personal Injury Practice,” National Business Institute (November 6, 2008)
- “Getting the Most Coverage When a Disaster Hits,” Disaster Preparedness Summit, Houston, TX., (July 2008)
- “Plaintiff’s Personal Injury: Practice Tips and Applications,” National Business Institute (2008)
- “How to Hammer Allstate,” LTLA Seminar (1999)
- Jewish Federations of North America: Campaign and Inspirational presentations 2007-2012 (Philadelphia, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Las Vegas, Orlando, Denver, and Pittsburg)
- Legal Secretaries International – “Tort Reform” (2012)
- “Live Long and Prosper – The Written Discovery Plan: Creating your Plan to Get the Most Out of Your Written Discovery for Effective Use at Trial,” LSBA Seminar (December 2013)
- “Case Management/Moving to Electronic File Management,” LAJ Decision Time & Auto Torts CLE Fall Conference (September 15, 2017 with Joseph E. Cain and Regina Valenti)
- “Trips, Slips and Major Mishaps – Personal Injury 2018,” LSBA (September 7, 2018 with Gerald Melchiode)
- LSBA CLE Wrap-Up (December 14, 2018 with Gerald Melchiode)
- “When Disaster Strikes, Know the Drill,” Trial Magazine (June 2013).
- Coto v. J. Ray McDermott, S.A., 772 So.2d 828 (La.App.4th Cir., 2000)
- Stuck v. Long, 909 So.2d 686 (La.App. 2 Cir. 2005)
- Miller v. Entergy Services, Inc., 913 So.2d 143 (La.App 4 Cir. 2005)
- Peters v. Safeco, 2008 WL 544226, E.D.La. 2008
- Van Vulpen v. City of New Orleans, 2004 WL 3329732, La. Dist. Ct. November 29, 2004 (No. 02-3265)
- Loria v. Petunia’s Restaurant, 852 So. 2d 510, 2002-1712 ( La. App. 4th Cir. 7/9/03)
- Hanover v. Latter & Blum Property Management, Inc., 2008 WL 2067060, E.D.La., May 14, 2008
- Lobell v. Rosenberg, 2015 WL 5972548 (No. 2015-C-0247); 158 So.3d 874, La.App. 4 Cir., Jan. 07, 2015; writ granted 169 So.3d 366, La., May 01, 2015; reversed and remanded 186 So.3d 83, La., Oct. 14, 2015; 184 So.3d 850, La.App. 4 Cir., Jan. 27, 2016; rehearing denied, Mar. 09, 2016; writ denied — So.3d —, La., May 27, 2016; 2017 WL 4402165, 228 So.3d 1241 (La. App. 4 Cir, 10/4/17); 2018 WL 6683401, — So.3d — (La. App. 4 Cir, 12/19/18)
- Goutierrez v. St. Paul Ins. Co., 2014 WL 766352, 136 So.3d 322 (La. App. 1 Cir, 2/16/14). Trans Pacific Interactive, Inc. v. U.S. Telemetry Corp., 2010 WL 5545406, 12/29/10 and 2016 WL 4942515, 203 So.3d 105 (La. App. 1 Cir, 9/16/16)