Contact Brian Katz
Brian Katz | Louisiana Personal Injury Lawyer
Brian D. Katz is a partner of Herman, Herman & Katz, L.L.C. Mr. Katz attended the University of Alabama, where he was the President of the College of Communication (1990-1991) and Zeta Beta Tau fraternity (1989-1991), as well as a member of the Blue Key Honor Society and the Order of Omega. After receiving his B.A. from the University of Alabama, Mr. Katz attended Tulane University School of Law, where he received his J.D. in January of 1996. While at Tulane, Mr. Katz clerked for the Orleans Parish Juvenile Indigent Defender’s Office and at HH&K. Immediately upon graduation, he joined his father, Morton H. Katz, in the family practice.
Developing a broad civil practice, Mr. Katz has handled plaintiff cases including personal injury, construction, business litigation, highway and premises liability, products liability and attorney fee disputes. He has also defended commercial litigation, legal malpractice, products liability, construction, civil RICO matters, and has experience litigating matters throughout the state and federal courts in the State of Louisiana. Mr. Katz has also spoken at and moderated continuing legal education programs presented by the Louisiana State Bar Association, Louisiana Association for Justice and the National Business Institute.
Mr. Katz has memberships in the Federal Bar Association, the Louisiana Bar Association, the American Association for Justice (where he has been named an “Advocate” in litigation), the Louisiana Association for Justice (where he is presently a member of the executive committee), the Louisiana Bar Foundation, and he is a member of Primerus’ Personal Injury Institute.
Mr. Katz is also heavily involved in civic work and serves on the board of the Jewish Federation of Greater New Orleans and is currently the board chair serving a two-year term through the fall of 2023. Mr. Katz has previously served as President of the Jewish Community Center from 2011 to 2013 and Chair of its Capital Campaign which concluded in 2016. Mr. Katz was Co-chair for the Jewish Federations of North America National Young Leadership from 2011 to 2012. Over the years, he has been acknowledged for his volunteer efforts and has received several awards for his civic work such as the Anne Goldsmith Hanaw and J. Jerome Hanaw Tikkun Award (2004), John N. Weinstock Leadership Award (2005), Maurice Feingertz Memorial Leadership Award (2006), the Esther Leah Ritz Next Generation of JCC Leadership Award (2006), and was selected to the United Way of Southeast Louisiana’s Alexis de Tocqueville Society (2013).
$47,879,628 – Maritime/Jones Act
$12,775,000 – Workplace Safety
$6,100,000 – Defective Design and Construction
$3,647,127 – Breach of Lease
$3,100,000 – Workplace Safety/Electrical Contact
$2,747,000 – Automobile Defect/Products Liability
$1,500,000 – Swimming Pool Safety
$1,450,000 – Automobile
$1,000,000 – Property Damage
WHAT CLIENTS HAVE TO SAY ABOUT BRIAN KATZ
“Brian Katz is one of the most capable and competent attorneys in the region. His attention to detail and communication skills should serve as a role model for attorneys to follow. Having worked with many attorneys in the past it is very clear that Mr. Katz takes his clients’ matters very seriously and personally. He spends a tremendous amount of time and research making sure that our interests are well represented at every stage. It is a very reassuring feeling to know that Brian Katz is your attorney. He is a wonderful asset for anyone to have as a team member when legal help is needed. No problem is too small or too large for Brian. His staff is top notch. Mr. Katz has given us 110% effort on everything we have asked of him regardless of how small or insignificant the legal issue. That is a rarity in law. He has been extremely involved locally in the community as well. He is a role model for others to follow.” -Arthur S.
“Mr. Katz is well respected by his peers for his ability and talents. He addresses issues as they are presented in a well-organized and timely manner. He has spoken with me at all hours of the day and night, every day of the week and even while abroad on vacation in order to answer questions or provide counsel. He is truly a professional who takes all matters seriously. He is a credit to the legal profession.” -Joe P.
“Brian Katz handled my daughter’s counter suit for a car accident and we couldn’t have been happier. I appreciated his thoroughness, honesty, and candor. Unlike most lawyers I know, he gives direct answers to direct questions vs lawyer speak. Most importantly though, Brian was keenly aware of how upsetting the entire episode was to my daughter and his efforts to make the entire process as easy as possible on her was impressive. I expect lawyers to be thorough and capable… not empathetic to the emotions of a teenage girl. The fact Brian was able to be all three was most impressive. Highly recommend Brian and the entire firm to anyone looking for a great lawyer or firm.” -Tom M.
“Superb representation on Katrina related flood problem. I had both primary flood insurance and excess flood insurance and needed Brian Katz’s legal expertise to settle the excess flood insurance claim which was finally in my favor! Years later the exterior of my condo bldg. was being pressure washed and my unit had mold secondary to the pressure washing. Again, Brian Katz helped me settle the claim. I highly recommend Brian Katz!” -Gerald C.
“Mr. Katz has represented me in cases concerning construction and was very successful.” -Louis V.
- Tulane University School of Law, J.D. 1996
- University of Alabama – Tuscaloosa, B.A. 1991
- U.S.D.C. Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana
- U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- University of Alabama College of Communication, President (1990-1991)
- University of Alabama Zeta Beta Tau, President (1989-1991)
- University of Alabama Blue Key Honor Society, Member; Order of Omega, Member
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rating
- New Orleans City Business Leadership in Law Recipient (2009, 2015, 2019)
- New Orleans City Business Leadership in Law Hall of Fame (2019)
- New Orleans Magazine Top Lawyers in New Orleans (2009, 2011-2014, 2016, 2018-2019, 2020, 2022)
- Best Lawyers in America (2012-present); Louisiana’s Best Lawyers (2012-present); Best Lawyers, Lawyer of the Year (2019)
- Louisiana Super Lawyers (2013-2023)
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers Guide (2020-2023)
- Jewish Community Center, President (2011-2013); Capital Campaign Chairperson (2013-2016)
- Jewish Federations of North America, National Young Leadership Co-Chair (2011-2012)
- Jewish Federation of Greater New Orleans, Board Chair (2021 – present)
- “Professionalism,” 2023 Evidence & Procedure Seminar, Louisiana Judicial College & Louisiana Association for Justice (March 10, 2022)
- “Recent Legislative Tort Amendments,” The Mediation Minute podcast hosted by Rebecca Wisbar (July 2, 2021)
- “Avenues and Roadblocks to Insurance Recovery for Damages Related to COVID-19,” Injury Board Webinar (April 24, 2020)
- “Avoiding Contempt and Improving Dialogue Between Bench and the Bar,” Louisiana Judicial College & Louisiana Association for Justice (March 6, 2020 with Judge Juan Pickett, 32nd JDC)
- “Case Evaluation and Initial Planning,” LSBA Personal Injury Speedway Seminar (December 4, 2019 with Gerald Melchiode)
- “Humor in the Courtroom,” LAJ Post Legislative Conference (June 26, 2019)
- LSBA CLE Wrap-Up (December 14, 2018 with Gerald Melchiode)
- “Trips, Slips and Major Mishaps – Personal Injury 2018,” LSBA (September 7, 2018 with Gerald Melchiode)
- “Case Management/Moving to Electronic File Management,” LAJ Decision Time & Auto Torts CLE Fall Conference (September 15, 2017 with Joseph E. Cain and Regina Valenti)
- “Live Long and Prosper – The Written Discovery Plan: Creating your Plan to Get the Most Out of Your Written Discovery for Effective Use at Trial,” LSBA Seminar (December 2013)
- Legal Secretaries International – “Tort Reform” (2012)
- Jewish Federations of North America: Campaign and Inspirational Presentations 2007-2012 (Philadelphia, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Las Vegas, Orlando, Denver, and Pittsburg)
- “Liens and Settlements in Plaintiff’s Personal Injury Practice,” National Business Institute (November 6, 2008)
- “Getting the Most Coverage When a Disaster Hits,” Disaster Preparedness Summit, Houston, Texas (July 2008)
- “Plaintiff’s Personal Injury: Practice Tips and Applications,” National Business Institute (2008)
- “How to Hammer Allstate,” LTLA Seminar (1999)
- “Business Interruption Insurance: What You Need to Know About Policies and Claims” co-authored with John Creevy, Living Safer Magazine (Volume 12, Edition 2, June 2020)
- “When Disaster Strikes, Know the Drill,” Trial Magazine (June 2013)
- Coto v. J. Ray McDermott, S.A., 772 So.2d 828 (La.App.4th Cir., 2000)
- Stuck v. Long, 909 So.2d 686 (La.App. 2 Cir. 2005)
- Miller v. Entergy Services, Inc., 913 So.2d 143 (La.App 4 Cir. 2005)
- Peters v. Safeco, 2008 WL 544226, E.D.La. 2008
- Van Vulpen v. City of New Orleans, 2004 WL 3329732, La. Dist. Ct. November 29, 2004 (No. 02-3265)
- Loria v. Petunia’s Restaurant, 852 So. 2d 510, 2002-1712 ( La. App. 4th Cir. 7/9/03)
- Hanover v. Latter & Blum Property Management, Inc., 2008 WL 2067060, E.D.La., May 14, 2008
- Lobell v. Rosenberg, 2015 WL 5972548 (No. 2015-C-0247); 158 So.3d 874, La.App. 4 Cir., Jan. 07, 2015; writ granted 169 So.3d 366, La., May 01, 2015; reversed and remanded 186 So.3d 83, La., Oct. 14, 2015; 184 So.3d 850, La.App. 4 Cir., Jan. 27, 2016; rehearing denied, Mar. 09, 2016; writ denied — So.3d —, La., May 27, 2016; 2017 WL 4402165, 228 So.3d 1241 (La. App. 4 Cir, 10/4/17); 2018 WL 6683401, — So.3d — (La. App. 4 Cir, 12/19/18)
- Goutierrez v. St. Paul Ins. Co., 2014 WL 766352, 136 So.3d 322 (La. App. 1 Cir, 2/16/14).
- Trans Pacific Interactive, Inc. v. U.S. Telemetry Corp., 2010 WL 5545406, 12/29/10 and 2016 WL 4942515, 203 So.3d 105 (La. App. 1 Cir, 9/16/16)
- McGillion v. Englade, 274 So.3d 822 (Ct. of App. 5 Cir. 5/29/19)